Monday, January 28, 2008

Review: Atonement

atonement.jpg Geez.  It's not very often that I love a romance movie.  Last night I attempted to see The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, but instead fell into Atonement, and boy am I glad.

While I've wanted to see this movie, I hadn't really made a commitment to see it in the theater, but two hours after the titles typed across the screen I'm proud to be able to say that I saw it on the big screen.

The story was excellent.  Epic, large, and full of emotion the story is a solid two hours within itself, and the director makes no apologies for pacing and doesn't need to.  From the moment of initial betrayal to the final act of atonement, this story is gripping but most importantly personal.  For the three characters involved, it's a lifetime's worth of pain, suffering, and (Tada! The cliche!) atonement.  The story was greatly enhanced by the editing in post and dreams of the characters, usually lacking in an epic love piece.  What the period bring to the film, i.e. snootieness, is made up for in personal involvement.

Kiera is grating, but I come to expect that from her roles.  Her performance is great as well as that of John Malkovich.  And oh yeah, that dress was freakin' amazing.

This film was great, with constant returns to previous story lines from different perspectives, the story was engaging, the acting was superb and the all together product was phenomenal.  It's too bad, but I'm nearly positive that his film will get snubbed at the Oscars.  With an easily identifiable story, Academy Voters won't want to appear dumb, and in my opinion, will probably go with the more critically acclaimed There Will Be Blood.  If you can run out and see this flic while it's still in theatres, I hope you take the opportunity.  You'll really appreciate it, believe me.

No comments: