Monday, January 31, 2011

The Kitchen is Home

The kitchen is where I thrive on weekends.  Cooking, cleaning, mixing drinks; I love my kitchen.  This weekend, after a quick trip to IKEA I've begun to make this kitchen my own.  Ironic? Maybe. 

I've started all this change because of the chaos that's settled upon my shoulders.  My family's recent troubles, the realization that my daughter and goddaughter live thousands of miles away, and the constant close quarters that are my home life have all formed a pressure on my chest that just won't go away...until I start cooking.  I love the feeling of control that cooking allows me.  The smells, consistency, and taste; they all are something that I control (for better worse) in entirety.

It's so refreshing to have that few hours a week where I am in control of an hour my life, no questions asked, no explanation required.

I'm looking forward to more hours and hopefully more peace in the new future.  Until then, the kitchen is my domain and there I rule, unencumbered.

No comments: